Powered By Blogger

Sunday 24 April 2011

Come, we have a hot venison pasty to dinner!

Yesterday was that great coming together of St Georges Day, the birthday of William Shakespeare and the birthday of FLN.

We toyed with the idea of a visit to Villa Park in his honour to see the home team play Stoke but I think the flash backs might have proved too sharp. And the thought of Stoke and their muscular approach to the beautiful game sort of sealed the decision.

So we went off to Stratford to enjoy the sunshine and the river. Falstaff himself might have marveled at the queue outside the fish and chip shop. Last time we were there we enjoyed the "sonnet sleuth" a handout with a series of word puzzles based on Shakespeare's sonnets which were linked to buildings and sites throughout the town.

So I thought I might take up the idea and move it on a touch. My title comes from All's Well That End's Well and could be just the caption for my photo. Can you not just see that mischievous grin peering over the gravy as he tries to hide the content of his pie from the reindeer mistress??

Can you think of another? Not necessarily Shakespearean of course. But how about:

"He hath eaten me out of house and home"

which is about Falstaff himself from Henry IV part II. Or more likely here a reference to the English Blogger, who having stripped the Rosary Road  fridge and larder bare compelled our hero, against his better judgement, of course, to quench his hunger at the match with a succulent pie!

So I promise a pie of your choice to the best caption suggestion and in the meantime will make sure I eat  a steak and kidney myself, preferably the Hollands variety, before I am that much older.

No comments:

Post a Comment